Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday obsessions: Soul voices and youtube


Happy Easter everyone! It's so lovely to have returned home after a VERY long trip away, and come home to a long weekend of 4 whole days (which means lots of sleep and food)!! I'm excited to be going back to the office in a couple of days and tackling alot of big projects we have for 2010. I won't spoil any of the surprises, but I'm looking forward to sharing them with you as they unfold with the rest of the year :)

For now, I thought I'd kick off the blogging week with something that ABSOLUTELY took my breath away over the easter break. I'm not usually one to get excited and hyped up over the latest fads and trends - rather, you'd see me in the corner raising one eyebrow, and using my other eye to scan the source of craze up and down with piercing cynicism. So when I do rave about something, its usually something I believe is truly truly wonderful. You see, over the weekend, Ju shared with me a song I actually REALLY love - Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" (although he shared the Jon Bon Jovi version of it )which is one of the most hauntingly BEAUTIFUL tracks I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. And for those that don't already know, I am at heart a music lover... I'm not just talking about listening to the radio alot, or excessively purchasing on itunes, but really loving music and what makes music such an art, to its very core. I completely admire how the best musicians and artist know how to craft a melody, and stir in the right acoustics to produce a song that really makes you feel. I've always said that if I didn't become a photographer, my 'pipedream' career would have been a singer/songwriter :) hehe, so now I am just a photographer that sings in her spare time with her vocal teacher :)

Anyhow, during that conversation, my brother, Jimmy, who is an avid music lover as much as I am (and more talented on the creation part of music!), suggested I check out this guy called Stan Walker who was last year's Australian Idol. Now, I CRINGE when I hear idol winners' names. Not because I don't watch it - but because I DO watch idol (More so, American Idol) and I am usually disappointed by the talent that rocks up (David Cook, and a couple of others are exceptions to this rule) - ESPECIALLY at this year's American Idol. I have stopped watching because each week makes me more and more sad. So when Jimmy told me I should listen to Stan Walker's version of Hallelujah my interest was unmoved until I was bored later that evening and looked him up. and BOY... was I surprised. This teenaged young man really has PIPES... and not just any pipes, but pipes with SOUL. And to top that off, he has an incredible story to his life... one of redemption, and absolutely no musical training. In my own humble opinion, that is wildly rare.

I spent the next 4 hours, listening to every single live performance he had ever done, and as much as I hated to admit it, my brother was right, and I was captivated. Truly captivated. I have never seen anyone sing with such pure passion.

Have a listen below to hear and understand why my breath was stolen this weekend :) To everyone else who was expecting photos, I'm sorry, but I hope the piece of treasure I have shared is worth the detour. I promise I only share what I truly truly love and hope you will share in the same journey with me! Love you all, and happy Easter again! :)



Stan Walker - Hallelujah (Live)


Other performances of noteworthy visits:
Stan Walker - Amazing Grace (Chris Tomlin Cover)
Stan Walker - Let's Stay Together (this one is just too charming! :D)







3 comments:

Phillipa said...

amazing voice he has-love it. Thanks for sharing this Jenny

charlie said...

I've loved jeff buckley's version forever after hearing at a wedding few years back..thanks for the reminder of how beautiful that song is..I love love Over the Rainbow by Israel is another fave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q&feature=related

Clara said...

Stan Walker is awesome and a breath of fresh air for Australian Idol. He's a believer in Christ too and I bumped into him at Hillsong a few weeks back! Glad you're enjoying his talent as much as I do :) Happy Easter Monday, Jenny!