Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TRA2: The Revenge!


Sorry to all those awesome brides and grooms reading this post, this entry is for us geeky photographers! ;)

Of course, EVERYONE on the planet that does photography knows about The Boutwell's Totally Rad Actions, and if you don't you have seriously been living under a rock!! They are one of the coolest set of actions I've had the pleasure of experiencing. While I don't use them exclusively on my photos (As I have my own set of recipes/actions created for the colour popping images that I'm known for, but the TRAs are definitely some of the ingredients added in), they have by far been some of the best actions I've tried due to its awesome ability to tweak and integrate each action to taste!

Anyhow, I got my hands on the newest release by the Boutwells: TRA2 The Revenge !!, and I have to say they completely rocked my planet. Loving the new look that some of the actions produce - better b&ws, and a very lovely vintage/cross processed theme running through the whole set. So for those that like that kind of look to their images, do check it out!!

For those, that have no idea what I am rambling about and are itching to see how you can integrate it into your images, here are some examples that I have applied to my own images:

Note, actions will NOT save a bad image. You, definitely, 200 %, need to have a good image that is well exposed to start with, AND you need to know how to mix in each action to the right degree (just like cooking! You can't have too much of any ingredient lest it spoil the dish!). The following shots were all 'actioned' straight from my straight-out-of-camera jpgs (yeah, I know...I don't shoot RAW. For storage reasons, and plus I believe shooting JPG has forced me to get my shots and exposures right in camera which definitely accelerates your learning curve as it stops you from cheating later on! ;) )


Pool Party + Can-O-Whoopass + Burn Out:




Claire-ify + Punch Out! + Shadow Separator:




Claire-ify + Troy:



Lux (hard) + Grandma's Tap Shoes (set to 50%) + Boutwell's Magic Glasses (selective layer masking) :



Claire-ify (60%) + Milk and Cookies + Shadow Separator + Select-O-Sharp (on the eyes)
Note: the TRA2 Sharpening actions are seriously out of this world!!!:


Hope this post has helped some of you budding photographers out there!! And don't worry, to all those who are freaking out about me changing my colour popping style - that wont be shelved for a looooooooooooooong time ;)

Anyhow, I'm off for now. To those who are still awaiting email replies, fear not, I hope to finish replying all of them by today or tomorrow (there are just sooooooooo many of them!!).

9 comments:

Jodi McDonald said...

Hi Jenny, Found you through James Day Journal. Absolutely luuuuv your work and I must say your attitude - very refreshing and open. Obviously added you to my list and will visit regularly.

char said...

love the effects :)they're fun !

astherlau said...

Yup... Anna introduced this awesome application via one of her email and ever since, I've been "cooking" up some of my work for my portfolio. Hahaha...

Thanx for sharing girl!

Linda Truong said...

Jenny. Love the work girl! I am contemplating on getting TR2...

Your work is stunning as usual...

david & kimi baxter said...

these look AWESOME!! beautiful work!!

youna said...

WOOO MAD STUFF!
ooooh is jenny's style changing? hehe

Joanna said...

love them all, jen! am absolutely swooning at the second one - the arch and the brown colour ;)

AHS Photography said...

Wow, you do stunning work!

eric said...

you take your photos in jpg? that's a big WOW from me!