Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Thursday, July 2, 2009

WPPI 8x10 Print Competition 2009 Results


I was going to post something completely different today, but I have pushed the original entry to be scheduled + published next time. Why? Because I received a very surprising email through my phone's email inbox last night...

I don't normally do this... you know, enter competitions...nor do I let people know if I am part of any associations/organizations... and I feel even stranger sometimes letting everyone know I've won something, because it just seems to vibrate that slight tinge of 'vanity'. I love humility, and I love humble people, you see.

However, at a recent talk given by industry colleague and friend, Louis Pang, his words that were filled with such encouragement and passion, tugged at my heart and I caved. I finally swallowed my fear and I sent off some of my favourite images to WPPI. I have never entered before, its because I never felt like my work was good enough. I thought, oh my goodness, as if me of ALL people out of the thousands and thousands of entries submitted from all around tehe WORLD would even score a smidgent on the score board. So I just sat there in the shadows.

To those wondering what is WPPI, and why of ALL organizations I decided to plop my little bottom down and be part of this group, is because of its international influence, quality contribution to the industry, and the fact that most of the industry heavyweights are part of and back this organization. The top wedding photographers in the world like Marcus Bell, Jerry Ghionis, Susan Stripling, (and my personal fave) Cliff Mautner, etc just speak volumes of the calibre of work that circulates in this arena.

Anyhow, last night's email sent my hands and heart into a quivering state of unbearable joy, and disbelief. Because I was informed that one of my photos scored 3rd place in the bride and groom together category, and another 3 photos had scored an accolade of excellence. I literally shouted at Ju - omg!! omg!! and my fingers were shaking so badly because I thought it was unreal. It couldn't be true until I read it again and again and again to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Here is the winning shot: The beautiful Matt and Mandy, from still one of my favourite ever weddings. Mandy/Matt if you are reading this, thank you for being part of something bigger than I ever thought I could imagine being part of.




Thank you so much to Louis for encouraging us that night to do just do it, and to my husband who puts up with my workaholic ways and supports me even though my love for my work drives him crazy at times, to my family who always encouraged me, and lastly and most importantly to God. I know I know... some of you out there are thinking, oh dear lord, here's another one of those crazy people doing the whole God speech. Please know I do mean it. I am so grateful and thankful to Him for everything. He gives all things, and makes all things possible. I am nothing personally and professionally without all the blessing He has given to me.

I say it again, I deserve none of this. And I will and always want to dedicate this back to our Lord and heavenly Father for being so so so so good and gracious. In the good, and even in the bad. I know Your hand of Wisdom works in ways we sometimes cannot understand but I continue to trust and be amazed at all of it.

Thank you again everyone for your love and support and the HUGE number of messages I've received on facebook, twitter, my phone, and my email inbox :)

So much love to you all!

xox

ps: For those that want to see the 3 photos that were given an accolade of excellence, do let me know! I didn't want to be OTT in this post, so holler! ;)

pps: And to my dear industry friends, I've already sent you messages personally, but congratulations on your achievement too. So well deserved and I'm so proud to see where you are all heading! :D




43 comments:

Mark Leo said...

Congratulations again Jenny on the win! Go and eat more durians and celebrate!

sam said...

Congrats again Jenny!!! :D

hyperhex.com said...

Congratulations


EHEM

IT'S ABOUT TIME! :). It's about time to get more friends who are award winning photographers....

heheh..

I meant, IT'S ABOUT TIME you give a chance to let the WPPI ppl to admire your work.

And, posting the other 3 images you are proud off is not about OTT :).

Well DONE!

Edwin said...

congrats sifu!

Events by Evonne said...

Congrats, Jenny. That's such great news! God gave you this talent, so use it and share it with the world. Don't be shy!

Angelina said...

Omg!! Jenny! Congratulations!!!
And yes i do believe God is always watching over us :)
Nevertheless, u deserve it! it's beautiful!

andychin said...

OTT? Come on, show us alright.

well deserved. *standing, big claps*

Fiona said...

Congrats babe!! Lovely shot!!

Robin Ng said...

Congratulation!

Kevin Tan said...

Congrats again and the pic really nice~~~God Bless You sis...

Benjamin said...

CONGRATS again, wow her lips are sooo red. love her eyes as well. nicely done Jenny. i wanna see the other 3 pics pls :)

sue said...

Congratulations Jenny, you totally deserved it! That photo is precious!

Andrew said...

OMG Jenny, congrats, that photo soo deserves the win. Love it :)

Grace Tan said...

Yes I'd love to see the other 3 pics too! It's a great shot. Congrats! God must be smiling up there!

Asha said...

Nicely captured Jenny. Love the shot!

Ben Israel said...

This photo is absolutely gorgeous. It's such a beautiful image of finality, completion, peace, as if she's saying... "I'm finally here"

Congrats!

Andrew Hong said...

Wow, well done! :D

Louis said...

Congrats, Jenny! I always knew your work is always up there with the best!

C'mon, show us the other 3 excellent shots!

Nicholas Leong said...

Congratulations! Well done well done :)

Jen: JK Photography said...

Jenny this is an amazing shot!!! I love it, you so earned this moment! Congratulations my friend :)

ThePhotolicious said...

beautiful picas

congrats jenny!!!

Shen Yeo said...

Jenny, you not gonna hide your masterpiece rite. C'on show us the 3 pics. Congrats on the great achievement. woo hoo!

Revolution Imaging & Design said...

Totally off the hook... Looks like a Modern Day Classic... Great Job JS!

Johan Sopiee said...

Congrats Jenny!!

Naqib/Qippy said...

way to go..as always I know your deifinitely a fantastic Photographer and you deserve it :)

red.dot said...

CONGRATS to you, Jenny :) you deserved it. keep up the good work of yours. BTW, mind if u share your other prints which won the accolade of excellence award? Thanks up front. cheers!

Lauren: Tiger Lily Photography said...

Well done Jenny, thats AWESOME news, and yes, we do want to see the other 3! xx

Hsu-ann said...

Congratulations, Jenny! :) You absolutely deserve it! :D

allen said...

Congratulations, Jenny! :)

krizalis said...

Nice one Jenny!

Gratz to you! Me would love to see those other 3 photos too. Please continue to snap super shots! Loved your work.

Holli True said...

Wow- that is so awesome!! Congrats, Jenny!! It's well deserved- this image is absolutely gorgeous!! :) I love finding other J* followers, too. She is so amazing and genuine and just a total rock star!! Will you be attending WPPI in 2010? I would LOVE to meet up with you so we can talk shop!! :) Oh, and thank you- True is my married name, I feel quite fortunate!! My maiden name is McCulloch- not the easiest to say!!

Holli True said...

Hey again! I just requested you as a friend on Facebook! :) Meeting up at WPPI would be amazing!! Last year I booked two girls while I was there and did a shoot on the strip- it was so much fun!! Vegas is just way too fabulous! We'll talk soon- I am way excited, too!!

Stanley said...

I got the news from Louis Pang's blog and came here to congratulate you on your win! Its amazing that I've never heard from you because I think that your photography is amazing. Its as good as the wedding photographers that I really admire like Jessica Claire. Lol, I really strive to produce work on par with you guys. Hhahah its still a long way coming but I guess I'm slllooowwwllyy getting there. Keep it up =D I'd be looking out for your work. Cheers!

Lionel said...

Congratulations to you Jenny! :)

Perry R. Lim said...

Well done to you and all the rest! With blessings.

Hwee Mei said...

Hey Jenny,

It was great seeing you last night! Congratulations! Keep up the good work and keep the beautiful work flowing.. show show the 3 pictures.... :)

Naomi Dear said...

Stunning & totally timeless. Good win!! xx

Anna said...

wOOt! when's the nom nom session? heehheehe...heartiest congratulations on the win(s) Jen! can't wait to see the other pics as well :D

Sadat said...

Congrats Jenny. Your pictures are stunning.

IP Hii said...

You can't hide good work, you shall get recognisation much much much before ;-D.

Congrats Jenny!

Lance said...

Congrats Jenny =)

Cindy said...

YAY! Congrats Jenny! Happy for youu :)

Lanx said...

Congrats!! Always knew you're more than ready for this. So so happy for you!