Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Shootfest 001: Divulging My Thoughts


At present, I am sure, in fact, I KNOW there are a whole BUNCH of blog posts out there about Shootfest at the moment which is great, because I also know there were alot of people who wanted to come, but couldn't make either due to scheduling or work commitments. I know those people especially appreciate all of you who have been taking the photos, blogging about it, filming, and giving live twitter feeds of the talks :)

Anyhow, my post today about the event, is more of a collection of my thoughts and feelings about the entire thing so those who are looking for a debrief of who spoke on what, and the contents of each session, I'm really sorry to disappoint you right here! But I promise to provide some links later in this entry for your reading pleasure :)

Now, as an advocator and supporter of knowledge sharing in our industry, it has meant that since I've started working in this business, I have always encouraged photographers to be open about how they shoot, how they work, and how they basically get the things they get done for their business. Why? Because in doing so, not only do the recipients of their knowledge gain, but they themselves gain as well. No one photographer knows everything, and if we all pooled in together what we knew, the industry and our personal growth as a photographer would be so much richer as a result. From the very beginning, I have always believed this.

So needless to say, when I met people like Grace and Alex from Integricity (who, by the way, are some of the nicest people you will ever meet in this industry!!), I was beyond thrilled! And since those early meetings at Delicious and Pizza Uno, its been so encouraging to see other photographers I knew advocating something that the majority of the industry was so against. I love how the new and modern age of this industry is moving away from the old school of thought :)

So when Shootfest was announced by Grace and Alex, I was SO excited! And why not?!? A 2 day event where a whole congregation of photographers and videographers alike would be pooling together talks that shared their experiences and knowledge? That's PLENTY to be excited by. The sessions covered anything and everything from digital workflow, to contracts, to photography equipment, to post processing, to wedding videography, online presence, and so on. The list was huge! It really was a knowledge fest for everyone who participated including myself. And at the end of it all? After reading all the blogs, facebook comments/reviews, and twitter feeds - EVERY SINGLE PERSON said it was a BLAST, and completely rewarding in so many ways. The bonus being, we all met old friends and made new ones :) Don't believe me about all the feedback? Read just SOME of them here at the official shootfest site.

I've always believed that knowledge and goodness shared, is knowledge and goodness gained. So to those out there who are shouting at me at their computers right now - you are crazy and a complete idiot for telling people what you know! Your business will suffer as a result of it! I say - its completely the opposite. People tend to and WILL want to help and pay attention to others who pay attention to them. Food for thought! :)

Thank you again to Grace and Alex who headed this initiative. You have set a fine example that the rest of the industry should follow, and I hope that the next one will be even bigger and better. Inspiring others to follow suit with your passion and generosity :) If our industry was made up of only people like you, and those that attended, our industry would be soaring. I look forward to that day :)

Here are some photos of the event! :) I decided to leave my camera at home this time around, as I really wanted to soak it in and enjoy the event, and really meet people (I tend to get into work mode when I have my face behind the camera :P), Plus I was only there for the 2nd day, so I have the pleasure of being able to use photos by some of the other awesome photographers who were there! :)

Thanks to Mark Leo, for these awesome group photos, and the few following after that! He has probably the most comprehensive report (and in chronological order too!) on all the talks so check out his shootfest blog posts here (day 1) and here (day 2).

Day 1's group!


Day 2's group!


Here is Alex (one of the organizers) giving his talk :)


And his lovely wife, Grace (another organizer!) giving another talk :)


Thanks to Jon Low for snapping this one. I was super duper nervous before my presentation. Really, i was like a nervous wreck - so scared that I would bore the living daylights out of people! haha :P And in case any of you are wondering, I was talking about branding. How to market yourself as a photographer (in particular, as a wedding photographer).


And thanks to Andy Chin (the TALLEST photographer I have ever met in my life! You give basketball players a run for their money!) for snapping me doing my last round of prep :)


Shootfest also ran an insanely crazy photobooth on the day. This is an example of the utter insanity that came from it! hahahaha!! Jon and Fiona, you guys crack me up!! hahaha. To check out the entire set, go to the official shootfest site here. You will want to see them :)


Adios for now! :)


4 comments:

andychin said...

fantastic fantastic. :)

One can't really know enough. I personally appreciate your sharing in your session. Those are very much impacted my view and encouraging. See you again :)

Leonard J.C. Lim said...

Can't agree more... the more we share the better we are... For myself, I think there will always be rooms for improvement in ourselves.

Thank you again for your sharing during ShootFest, so sorry got to leave early that day...

All the best and stay in touch...

Fiona said...

It was good seeing you again (after so long!)! Can't wait to hang out in Sydney come Oct!!! Will keep you posted on our travel plans so we can plan ahead! =)

Daren Chong said...

didn't manage to catch up with you more on that day. anyway, thanks for sharing with us your knowledges and experiences!

looking forwards for shootfest 2010! keep it up........