Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Turning 2-


My bottom had spent the past 8 hours sharing quality time with the MAS seat, and I was getting squirmish. The signs were rearing their ugly head. For one, my eyes which are so well trained now to be able to stay closed and enjoy sleep while thousands of miles above ground, were shifting left and right, up and down. My legs were in a place of discomfort, despite being in the same position the last 3 or 4 trips they had made on board. And my ipod had become a source of dull noise pollution. I was thoroughly bored. 

Feeling dirty and craving a shower, a little disheveled, and just wanting to feel familiarity and routine, I finally got off the plane and carted myself from terminal to terminal. Ultimately arriving and dumping myself quietly in the car that Ju had come to pick me up in. And when the car ride was over and the bags had to be unloaded, Ju silently walked off, leaving me alone with the 3 bags that had about 50kg of stuff inside. 

That was when I flipped a switch. I huffed, and I puffed, and I would have completely blown the house down in my irritation, however God didn't gift me with big lungs and lots of air, so I grumpily pulled the handles and dragged them along while the sweat beads began to form on my forehead. It was when I reached the front door of our home, that the complaints began to roll of my tongue. "Could you at least help??"... "You could have at least picked up ONE bag"... "I have like 50 KG of luggage here!!".... and I swear I must have sounded like the most annoying wife ever, with my ranting on and on.

Ju then silenced me, and said he had a present. I raised an eyebrow, and reluctantly lowered the volume button of my displeasure. And that's when he passed me a camera filter. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

"Ohhh... thankssss" It was lovely and thoughtful (since I had broken mine in a freakish accident), but the fake smile gave birth on my face. You know, those ones where you look happy and thankful, but inside, you are thinking "errr... huh??" In all honesty, I did think it was really really thoughtful but I was smelly, I felt dirty, and I desperately needed a shower - this overwhelming need must have shrouded any drop of happiness because at that point, Ju gave me a big hug and I pulled away. I just wasn't in the mood to play the happy wife. I wanted my shower!!

But Ju didn't have any of that. As he held me tightly, he slowly turned me around to an open cabinet. And inside, sat a very large box. The box read "Canon EOS 5D Mark II". 



(Taken with the new 5D mkII)

At that point, my eyes completely popped open. Words failed to come to the tip of my tongue. Instead, what rolled out were sounds of gibberish excitement, and some squeals. "Happy birthday, really". And then the guilt came. 

I felt so bad for being such a grump. I mean, it became obvious then that Ju had staged the entire thing (Because he ALWAYS helps me with my bags!!) to surprise me. So I was forgiven ;) And I proceeded to spend the rest of the night just looking at the box. I didn't want to open it yet. Scared that if I did, my birthday would really be over. Which is silly talk, since my birthday had already past. I spent it working and shooting a wedding, and very very far away from home. But if the welcome home was anything to go by, I didn't feel like I missed a thing :)

Ju took me out last night, and we enjoyed a really relaxing slow dinner. The kind where you talk, like really talk, and the eye contact never waivers. Where you sit and eat at a pace where your food cools down faster than your conversation. Where each sip of wine adds to the calm, and lingers til the last spoon of dessert slides down your throat. I was told at that point that I was getting a birthday WEEK. Camera was day 1, dinner was day 2....I have no idea what is coming next, but I know that it will continue until this saturday. I was like 'WHAT? Are you serious???' I was just amazed at how much thought Ju had put into this. I felt so undeserving. You see, I never asked him to buy me a camera (I didn't even hint, I promise! In fact, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy a new camera at all this year), I never asked for a lovely long dinner outside. But I got it anyway. And I sometimes wonder why... because I could totally be a better wife. Cook more for him. Actually iron his shirts instead of sending them away to be done. Spend less time in front of my computer. You get the idea. 

It was the perfect way to end a very long 9 month peak-season for me. Granted, it will still be very busy over the coming months with other types of projects going ahead, but to come back and celebrate a belated birthday with my favourite person in the world, even without all the presents, was just perfect. My eyes closed last night, not in restlessness this time, but contentment. I was reminded that it isn't taking great photos, or winning awards, or gaining recognition for my work that makes me truly happy, but its moments like these. We should all stop once in a while to really relish and enjoy them, because I think THEY should define our existence. Not what we do. 

----

Thank you to EVERYONE who sent me birthday wishes for my turning 2- !! :)  I was away from, pretty much everything for about a week, and I came back with a flood of messages in my inbox, phone, and facebook! I can't believe how incredible you all are!! You have made this may baby one very happy chappy! :) 

I have to give a special shoutout though. There were a number of AMAZING individuals (clients and photographers) who made the extra effort to find my home address and send/give me something. I LOVE the presents, really I do. My heart nearly wanted to crumble into a pile of goo when I saw how thoughtful the gifts were. No, seriously, they were SO THOUGHTFUL. From chocolate dipped strawberries, to perfume, to itunes gift cards, hand written cards, to other really delectable yummies... I was just FLOORED. I am the most undeserving person ever to receive such kindness, but you all show me that I am the luckiest photographer. Period. To have clients and friends like yourselves is just beyond me, but I am 150% thankful to God anyway for blessing my path with your presence. You are amazing in every fibre of the word. 

Much love!!

(the below was taken with our point and shoot at dinner last night, JUST before the battery died)


ps: To those still awaiting details of the lunch get together, I'll be emailing you later this afternoon!! :)

24 comments:

Daren Chong said...

enjoy your new Canon 5D MarkII!!! have fun........

lauren walker said...

Awesome Surprise! Im getting one for my 29+1 birthday in a few weeks.

Amy said...

so sweet!...i was tearing at the end of the post....have fun with ur new toy!!

trish said...

*smiley sigh*

just perfect :)

Linda Truong said...

Thank you for the uplifting read! :) Happy Birthday, again, love! Never forget God's unending goodness to us. It's easy to forget in amongst our drudgery.

andychin said...

So sweet of Ju :)

You are a happy wife!

Tammy said...

glad you had a wonderful day :)
hope you have a spectacular birthday week!

Mark Leo said...

Wah a 5D Mk2 for your birthday. Way totally awesome!

Happy birthday and God bless.

*goes away hinting to gf about a D3 :P*

natt said...

awesome pressie! =)
let us know what you think as you play with it more =)

Benjamin said...

hehe really good in describing eh? but yea...i would be cranky too...and the 5D mark2 would definitely make my day!

i wan a gf/wife like that too...haha..wishing the world works the other way round :P

jazzmint said...

I've received a D50 before during my birthday and I totally understand how it feels ;). Happy b-lated bday

eddieleevideo said...

Well Jenny, all i can say is-the best "present" u ever had is still your big bear JU :). - JU-nice one bro!!!

Anna said...

Awwwww...that's sweet of Ju! And happy belated birthday Jenny :D Glad to read that it'll be an awesome week of celebrations. wOOt!

oneshotbeyond said...

I can't think of a better "material" birthday gift at all! What a sweetie to do that for you!!!

Deyla Huss said...

Happy Birthday to Jenny!
Happy brithday to you!
Happy birthday dearest Jennnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Happy Birthday to you sweets!!!

astherlauphotography said...

Happy Belated Birthday, deary! So glad you had had a wonderful time being home again. :D

And WELCOME to the 5dII club! Hahaha... I got mine as a "post-confinement" present cos I had post-natal depression during confinement period. So, the camera lifted my spirit a lot!

So are you gona sell one of your 5D? I'm looking for a second hand unit as my 2nd body to pair with the new camera. ;)

Jenny Sun said...

@ asther: yay!! you have it too!! can't wait to see you shoot with it on our upcoming wedding shoot in a few weeks!!!! :D As for selling the old 5D, sadly Ju took the liberty to sell it before I even knew it was going to another owner! LOL... we passed it onto the new 'parents' last night :) Its amazing how fast 2nd hand bodies are wanted in the market! see you soon babe!!

Grace Tan said...

What a lovely gift! :) Looks like you'll be enjoying it a lot! Ju is really thoughtful to have done all that for you. Happy birthday. Praying for God's abundance grace to follow you all the days of your life.

Lauren Leffler said...

What a lovely post, Jenny :)

ahhingvg said...

Hi .... having fun with your new camera ooo...

Kee Sitt said...

Thank you for sharing this Jenny. Ju is such a romantic guy!

Clement said...

Happy Birthday to you !! and your picture are so nice!!

Andrew Hong said...

How nice! :)

Lucky Designs said...

Sometimes I have a moment just like that with my husband, and immediately regret it. I have to remind myself of all the thoughtful things he does - every day!