Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Thursday, November 5, 2009

Searching for air


For some strange reason, God has dealt me some rather challenging cards to ride this season. I have to admit, they haven’t been easy. These last few weeks, work has been on my schedule every day. No, really. When I wasn’t shooting, I was meeting people. When I wasn’t doing that, I would be editing. When I wasn’t editing, I would be replying emails. And when I wasn’t doing that, I was trying to play out the other roles that I embodied in life – wife, friend, family member. And being sick in between it all. There were moments while I was sitting in front of my computer, doing so many things at once, that I realized I had stopped breathing for a few seconds. Literally. I had to consciously tell myself in those moments - stop, breathe. And breathe again.

A few nights ago, Ju and I were doing grocery shopping (he was wanting to find some german beer to appease his nostalgic love for what he discovered in Frankfurt recently, and I was on the hunt for organic food that I could eat for lunch - no more takeout!!), and he picked up a tiny little potplant that had black seeds sitting on its leaves, saying to me "Jen, I think you should get this for your office room".

In protest, I said "no way! that thing has disgusting black things on it and it looks like they will hatch into gross little insects that will infest my workspace!" (okay, so they were seeds, not eggs :P)

"No it won't!"

This banter happened several times before he remarked "look!", pointing to the tag that came with the little green shrub. It said something along the lines of:

This plant helps to purify the air around you. Add a few teaspoons of water each day.

I thought that's cool! A plant that helps me breathe better. And in that instant, I took the tiny little thing home with me. It adds a little life to this manic corner of my world.

I think we as photographers, especially in peak season when everything runs around you like a wild tornado, when you love your work and the people you work for, we run the risk of sometimes letting work becoming our life. And the line defining and dividing the two become very blur. And well, life just sits there on a lonely shelf wondering when it can come out to play again. I see alot of my industry friends saying to me how busy they are, how tired they are, how much they have to do, the constant and persistent late nights they have to put in, and sometimes it makes me sad because of how much of their life revolves around their work. I am sometimes tempted to tell them to stop, breathe and to live life a little. We're only young once. Every day we don't spend with our loved ones, is one day less. What if it is the last? What if our kids grow up, or our friends have grown into life, and we realize we have missed most of it? I'm a firm firm believer that a balanced photographer, makes a better one. No one thinks their best when they are tired and burnt out, right? ;) And I believe if you are living and loving life, and nurturing the relationships around you, it will show in the pictures you take :) Passion and love can't be hidden :)

So now, the green little shrub doesn't just help to clean the air in my always stuffy office (I don't like opening the windows - its a habit I've taken across with me into adulthood from young when my mum would keep the windows closed to prevent dust from coming in. Nowadays, I'm just lazy :P), but it is there to remind me to breathe every now and again. To take time out, PLAN TIME OFF, spend time living life every now and again, and remember that there are more important things than the work we do and the pictures we take. From the very small to the very big.




To end with, I want to share with you an incredibly beautiful song I found recently by Kyler England: You Wait For Rain It made my heart and ears very happy :)





ps: to anyone who knows what this plant is called, please tell me! I'd love to know!! :D



9 comments:

Lee Kuen said...

Hi Jenny, thank you for sharing. I totally agree that life is meant to be lived. In the busy-ness of running around, it is indeed good to stay still and take in the fresh air around us. The simple things in life are free. :-)

WC said...

I could be wrong, but you seem to be always ill, down with the cold, or some other malady. Is this not your body telling you to 'love your work less' and make time for self?

Jenny Sun said...

haha, no worries! :) I've spent the last 2 weeks off from shoots just to remedy the time-for-myself :) So all is good in that department! :D

Alexandra said...

This post is so true. Lately I feel so busy and I complain all the time and it's just pathetic. I have so much to feel grateful for and just need to stop and breath, as you said. Love this post.

Pamelyn Tan-Corsi said...

A good reflection.Hope you will have an inspiring week and month. Thank you for sharing the wonderful thought and song. Love the lyrics of the song.

lauren walker said...

when you said to me that you want more than just 'was a great photographer' on your headstone, that really struck a cord.... ive made some changes to my business recently, and now my headstone will read about me as a person, not about my job. not that im planning on dying any time soon :)
Smile Jenny, and take time to chill too!

dan said...

I agree. It's always good to stop, take a step back, breathe, and step back in.

Sometimes all you need is a little reminder of that passion you have for your photography work. There's a saying "If you do what you love most, you don't have to work a single day"

=)

garrylin said...

Thanks for sharing... ur post encourages me to reconsider having some green on my desktop... :) i just hope they don't dry out of me forgetting to water them (not the first few weeks maybe) hahaha... :)

AP said...

Are you a Christian? That makes me happy. I am also a Christian photographer. I have been making it a huge part of my life lately to make time for God and to keep a day of rest. I'm Asian American so I enjoy looking at your blog. If you want to shoot me an email some time I'd love to hear your story.