Weddings Engagements Portraits Events Personal News Other Photography Photography Stuff Design Stuff Randoms!
My Website JSP Faqs World sunrise/ sunset times Time Zone converter World Clock Day/ Night world map




A big hi and hello to all of you out there! Thank you for stopping by Jenny Sun Photography's blog! This is my brand new blog space! So please make yourself at home, and have a good browse around. There is plenty more to come so check back often :) Just in case any of you are wondering who on earth I am, my name is Jenny Sun. I own a photography company that spans across Australia and Malaysia, particularly in the Sydney and Kuala Lumpur regions respectively. Though I'm not restricted to those areas! :) I love photographing just about anything under the sun, but my particular passion is for weddings and portraits - I seriously LOVE people, their stories, the beautiful relationships formed, and the tales that are told when that shutter goes off!

This blog is my personal and visual journey along this path of photography. Please hop on board the ride, comment along the way (I shamelessly love comments!), and lets see where the wind takes us :)




Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Giving Back


This has been something that has left its mark, sitting heavily at the back of my mind over the last few months.

Over the course of the last 12 months, I have realized more and more that the phenomenal growth that we've been so blessed to enjoy (and which has often just floored plus at the same time humbled me in this line of work) is not a result of me.

Alot of people may think - yeah, but aren't you the person taking the pictures? Aren't you the one calling all the shots? True, but little do most of you know that a myriad of different people have contributed, adding their little midas touch of gold, so that this girl could realize what seemed at the time a few years ago, a silly pipeline dream.

I could never claim all the glory. In fact, I sit uncomfortably in my skin, gawking sheepishly with my eyes darting across to all different directions, when praise is smothered on face to face. I'm a bit shy that way :p But really, I am like that because I know deep down, alot of what I get to do (and love to do!), is because of others.

For one, my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Without you, I am nothing. You have given me my eyes, and I know it is you with me not just at every shoot, but everyday, guiding my thoughts, speech, and actions. I know without you, I would merely be a girl holding a camera, uncertain of what to see, what to sense, what to feel. I only hope I can please you in my walk with you, and with these gifts you have given me. Thank you for the amazing gift to enjoy the work you continue to provide. I will always need you more than life itself.

Then, there is my husband. Who has seen me through it all from the beginning to now. He has watched me fall, cry, shrink in doubt and pain when others laughed at me, then pick up the pieces and rise back up again, who has graciously added to my gear bag at the expense of things he has wanted, and who has given me unbiased advice and criticism in all facets of my business and life. I am better because of it.

To my family... you are like a constant anchor in a tidal wave of change. I know I can always depend on you no matter what is going on. Thank you for putting up with my running in and out of the house from shoot to shoot, to shower, recharge my batteries, preparing my breakfasts, and leaving me dinner when you know I have to come home late. These may be small things to eyes out there, but like a backbone, it helps hold up the body so that it is able to do the rest of the things it is meant to do.

Then there are all the photographers I've been so fortunate to meet and chat to, either in person or via my blog, and my 2nd shooters. You guys have been so encouraging, and I am so glad to have crossed paths. You have shown in an industry that can sometimes been awfully selfish, that there are individuals out there who care about others in the industry.... who share information, who support and encourage one another, who love shooting not for fame or money (those that do have it though, have shown that your passion is your work and the people you work for - I love and am so encouraged by your humility), who give back, and inspite of everything, are so humble. You people are the real inspiration.

And then to my friends/clients who trust me with your most precious memories. Know that I take that to heart, and I treat them like my own. I love witnessing the joy you share with others on the day, and to be allowed that honor is so special. I say that alot, running the risk of sounding like a completely broken record, but I mean it from the bottom of my heart. I just don't know where I would be without you and your utmost confidence. Know it when I say I love you guys as people, not just names in my client book.

And lastly, to those who have written in to me (old friends and new friends from all around the world!) with your down right awesome words of encouragement. It always surprises me where people come from, and how warm they are with their messages. I save all your hellos, thank yous, and the like! They are such day brighteners when I am feeling a bit 'blehh' ;)

When I was contemplating all these people who have sprinkled their seeds along my path, I was compelled to give back. As a sign of the generosity others have extended to me, I want to extend one out to all of you reading this. I'll be honest when I say, I have no idea how this will turn out, but I am putting it out there anyway because I've always believed that if you are given much in life, you are to also give much in life.

So, in that spirit, I'm offering my services for free. Gratis. No strings attached :)

While I would LOVE to do all kinds of sessions for free, due to the insanely packed out year, I'm going to have to do this in stages. First up...

If any of you out there fall in the below categories, or know anyone in the following categories, please drop me an email at info@jennysunphotography.com
(1) Children's portraiture - calling all mums or dads (ESPECIALLY parents who have to stay home during the week - you deserve extra love!) who have been wanting their kids portraits taken in a casual, fun, and natural outdoor setting, this is for you :D
Dates: Sometime between September 29th - October 4th :)
Location: For now, Kuala Lumpur or Sydney (but send in your location anyway for consideration if you live outside of these areas).

(2) Girls Dress up!! - ever wanted an excuse to just dress up in your best frock, do your hair and put on a little bit of make up as if you are going out for a night out on the town?? Well, pay attention because I'd love to have you in front of my camera :) You don't have to do it alone, bring your besties along with you! Its WAY more fun when you and all your girlfriends get together and do the session as one group ;) So bring your sass, your confidence, and your smiles!
Dates: Sometime between November 2nd - November 9th :)
Location: For now, Kuala Lumpur or Sydney (but send in your location anyway for consideration if you live outside of these areas).

I'll be giving this to the first 2-3 in each category who write to me :) And YES, you can nominate friends/family - it would be a lovely surprise for them! So drop me an email to find out more details !

For those who are waiting for me to shoot a wedding for free? It's coming! Yes, that right! a FREEEEEE wedding. While I can't share now, when I do, the announcement and details will be right here on this blog space :)

Adios!

ps: Just so this post is not without a photo, here's a random one from my ever more random wanderings around :)






14 comments:

Jamie lee said...

Salute !

stephers said...

Wow, Jenny. That is mighty generous of you. *salute*

Too bad I'm not getting married anytime soon! ;P

stuart said...

Gotta admire your honesty and humility! Free wedding photo shoot? me me me!! :)

I'd be happy with a quick tutorial in photography.. for dummies like me!

trish said...

God is smiling at you right now :)

edwin tan said...

shooting for children? my kids my kids.. lol

Creative Sisters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
french toast friday said...

oh jenny this is really wonderful. thanks a lot! i have to say your work is very natural yet amazing. i so want to capture images like you. anyways, i've been wanting to have my kids pictures taken professionaly for a long time. the timing is just right. pick me! pick me!

kitkat said...

hey Jenny, if you are in Penang again, or if we head to KL ... I would TOTALLY love to have Jessica's photos taken, errr... if you are ever up for dealing with a hyper bunny! Your work's been awesome!!

hugs ...

Joanna said...

ooooooh can I sign up for the Girls Dress Up shoot? ;)

Anna said...

Ditto Jenny, ditto :)

Keep up the great work :D See ya soon!

Kee said...

That is humility Jenny. I may not met you personally but I have heard lots of great stuff about you from Grace. Hope to meet you in person one day :)

May Yee said...

Highly commendable! :)

Have fun giving back and god bless.

wendy g said...

Hey Jenny,
I appreciate this post SO much! I'm a Christian too and give Jesus all the glory!
wendy g

missroum87 said...

ohh!!! how i wish me and my girls are there... :(